|School's Back In Session|
|By EMS Captain David Coe|
|September 4, 2017|
Labor day not only signifies the end of summer but the start of the school season. Public schools in Carroll County and Frederick County start, Tuesday, September 5, 2017. Please allow extra time needed in your daily travels as school buses will once again be on the roadway. The New Windsor Fire Department would like to wish everyone a safe and happy school year. The New Windsor Fire Department would like to pass on the following school bus safety tips from our Friends at Safe Kids:
- Walk with your kids to the bus stop and wait with them until it arrives. Tell kids to stand at least three giant steps back from the curb as the bus approaches and board the bus one at a time.
- Teach kids to wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before getting off and never to walk behind the bus.
- If your child needs to cross the street after exiting the bus, he or she should take five giant steps in front of the bus, make eye contact with the bus driver and cross when the driver indicates it’s safe. Teach kids to look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- Instruct younger kids to use handrails when boarding or exiting the bus. Be careful of straps or drawstrings that could get caught in the door. If your children drop something, they should tell the bus driver and make sure the bus driver is able to see them before they pick it up.
- Drivers should always follow the speed limit and slow down in school zones and near bus stops. Remember to stay alert and look for kids who may be trying to get to or from the school bus.
- Slow down and stop if you’re driving near a school bus that is flashing yellow or red lights. This means the bus is either preparing to stop