|Propane Tank Leak - 3300 Block of Uniontown Road|
|By Chief Tom Coe|
|August 31, 2018|
Just before 5:00am, the New Windsor Fire Department was dispatched for an outside propane tank leaking in the 3300 Block of Uniontown Road. Engine 101 arrived to find that a relief valve had failed on a 2,000 gallon underground propane tank. After reaching out to the propane service company a request was made for the Maryland Department of the Environment's Emergency Response Division to respond to the scene to assist. The crew from Engine 101 determined that based on the situation at hand the best means to mitigate the hazard was to set up a "flaring operation" which meant crews needed to burn off the propane in the tank so that the relief valve could be replaced. Upon the arrival of MDE the flaring operation commenced. Engine 101 remained on the scene until the operation was completed around 12:15pm. With the propane tank empty the scene was turned over to the propane service company to complete the repair.